Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Jayne's Faux Stitching Tutorial

Hi there!  

Our Sketch-y Friday DT member Jayne is with us today sharing a tutorial  for "faux stitching"  she is amazing at it and I have often  thought her "faux stitching" was real!   I will let Jayne take it from here. 

"Hi there, Jayne here with a really simple little tip for you to create more realist 'faux' stitching!

I don't know about you but I love the look of stitching on scrapbook pages, but I hate the fact that I don't have enough room in my scrappy space to accommodate my sewing machine.  This means if I want 'the real deal' on my pages, I have to lug all my supplies up from the basement, get everything set up then reverse the process when I'm done.

I'm sorry to say I am not that dedicated!

The easy way out is to grab your fine line marker and get drawing and that's perfectly fine, but it certainly doesn't look as realistic as machine stitched thread, probably because there is no texture involved.

I have a compromise I'd like to share which will fool most critics.

Before you get to work with your marker, pierce your paper with one of those pointy, paper piercing kinda things.........simple!



It's certainly not rocket science and it's a little more time consuming, but it does make a difference.

You then just join the dots.



I have a variety of pens I like to use in different colours and the effects are very similar, but whichever you choose I would suggest a fine nib.

You can see a close-up here of the comparison with and without the piercing.



Here's an example of some random black 'stitched' lines I used on a recent layout:




.......and a quilt effect in white on another:



I hope you'll give it a try because believe me, no-one will ever know you cheated!

Enjoy,
Jayne.x."

Thank you Jayne! And thank you all for visiting! 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome idea Jayne! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jayne! I tried it and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and here i have been hand-stitching all my layouts because I don't have room for a sewing maching :(

    will definitely be trying this, thanks Jayne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fantastic, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this idea! I do lots of faux stitching but never thought it poke holes in the paper to make it seem more genuine! Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I asked for a mini sewing machine for Christmas just to use on paper...I love how I can keep it in my space without it taking up much room. I actually have it on a Raskog cart from Ikea

    ReplyDelete